Will Vinegar Kill Black Beard Algae in an Aquarium?

Black Beard Algae is not something you want inside of your aquarium.

It’s bad for your plants, and bad for your fish and can spread fast through out your tank if you don’t tackle it early.

But how can you get rid of it? Can you use something as simple as Vinegar to kill black beard algae?

Yes, vinegar will kill black beard algae because it contains acid which is very effective at killing algae.

How to Use Vinegar to Kill Black Beard Algae

Black Beard Algae can be killed with acetic acid, which is in vinegar. Of course, you don’t want to just pour vinegar into your aquarium, which will harm or even kill all of your plants and fish. You have to apply the vinegar in a controlled manner.

You’ll want to make a 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water solution. There are two ways you can apply this solution to your plants to get rid of the Black Beard Algae.

Will Vinegar Kill Black Beard Algae in an Aquarium

You can lower the water level in your tank as much as possible, and directly spray this solution on the algae you want to destroy.

Or, you can take your plant right out of the aquarium, and dip the foliage that is covered in the algae into the diluted vinegar solution you have made.

If you do this, make absolutely sure not to get any of the solution on the root system of your plant. This will harm or kill the plant!

Before putting the plant back in your aquarium, be sure to wash them with the same water you plan on putting in the tank, to ensure that all vinegar is washed away. Vinegar can affect the PH balance of your aquarium and cause problems if you aren’t careful.

YouTube video

How Does Vinegar Kill Black Beard Algae?

Simply put, there are ingredients in vinegar that are deadly to Black Beard Algae. That harmful ingredient is acetic acid. Being exposed to this for a period of time will kill almost any algae.

Of course, this means that vinegar can harm the plants you actually want to keep around, but as long as you do not expose them to vinegar for a long time, they should be fine. Most plants are a lot more robust than algae is.

The main thing is that algae requires a delicate PH balance in order to thrive, and being exposed to acid upsets that balance, thus causing the algae to die relatively quickly after exposure.


Hello, I'm Jason. I'm the guy behind HelpUsFish.com. I volunteer at my local fish shop and I created this site to offer tips and advice on the fish I care for.

Recent Posts