Guppies are widely known for their ability to survive even at varying environmental conditions. It is also a known fact that what you feed your guppies with can influence how they flourish. Although guppies can survive on just guppy pellets or flakes, adding vegetables to their diet is a big plus to their nutrients.
What Kind Of Vegetables Do Guppies Eat? Guppies like to eat chopped or shredded vegetables like Mustard greens, zucchini, peas, spinach leaves, cucumber, corn, potato, cabbage, corn, kale, cauliflower, and broccoli. Algae and spirulina are also excellent staple foods for guppies.
Guppies are omnivorous, so they can conveniently feed on vegetables. There are varieties of vegetables, it is therefore important to know the exact ones guppies can eat.
Feeding Vegetables To Guppies
Just like other livebearers, guppies are omnivorous and they certainly need vegetables to complete their diet. Feeding your guppies with only proteins like fish or shrimps can cause nutritional deficiencies. You can limit the amount of processed food they consume by providing them with fresh vegetables. Also, few commercially made pellets contain vegetable ingredients.
Feeding your guppies with fresh vegetables has so many nutritional advantages. For instance, peas can help guppies relieve constipation. Other vegetables also serve as homemade remedies for a lot of health conditions.
However, it is important to remove any vegetable left unconsumed in the tank after 2-3 hours. By that time, the vegetables must have lost most of their taste, and your guppies are most likely not interested in them. Likewise, if not removed on time, the vegetables can get slimy and start fouling the tank. Hard vegetables like carrots on the other hand, can still be left for about 12 hours.
How To Prepare Vegetables For Your Guppies
It is not advisable to just toss all vegetables into the aquarium tank and expect your guppies to feed on them. You might need to make a little preparation for the vegetables. Here are some preparations for common vegetables.
- Cucumber/Zucchini/Tomatoes: Simply wash it, cut it into slices after removing the jelly bits and seeds before slicing them into the aquarium thank.
- Peas [Fresh or Frozen]: Drop the sweet corn into boiling water for about a minute or two. This will help it to soften, and then peel the shell before dropping them in the tank.
- Sweet Corn [Fresh or frozen]: Drop it in boiling water for about one minute for it to soften before dropping it into the tank.
- Carrot: Chop the carrots into small pieces before dropping it into the water for about one minute to soften them before dropping them into the tank.
- Pumpkin: You can serve your guppies with raw pumpkin. Just chop them into small pieces to make it easy for them.
- Spinach: you can also feed it fresh to guppies. Just rip it with your hands and drop it into the tank.
Vegetables are very essential in the nutrition of guppies to enhance healthy growth. It is important to recognize the vegetables your guppies love and add them to their diet. Also, it is important to prepare the vegetables well to make it easy for your guppies to consume. Likewise, it is important to get rid of unconsumed vegetables in the tank to prevent it from fouling the water.