Guppies are one of the most popular aquarium fishes. One of the most outstanding features of guppies is that they are hardy and can adapt to different conditions. Guppies hardly get sick and they can only be affected by a few diseases, stress and extremely harsh conditions. Guppies’ diseases are often caused by bacteria, viruses, and other parasites. Different illnesses have different symptoms in fishes.
Yes, guppy’s tail turning black can translate to the fact that it is sick. The blacktail can be as a result of diseases or some other conditions like poor water quality, overcrowding in tanks, poor quality food or malnutrition, excessive handling, as well as extreme water temperatures.
However, if your tank is well kept and properly set up it can reduce the probability of your guppies getting sick. Likewise, providing your fish with the appropriate diet can also improve their immune system to these diseases. When guppies are well-fed, healthy and properly kept, they can fight off most diseases.
Disease Prevention in Guppies Tank
It is easier to prevent diseases in guppies than allowing them to get infected before finding a cure. You can prevent diseases from invading your tank by taking simple precautionary steps like regular maintenance and proper aquarium set up. Below are simple steps that can prevent diseases from invading your tank.
- Do not introduce a sick fish into your tank. If you are not sure about the health status of the new fish, you can quarantine it.
- In case of sick fish in your tank, move it to a separate tank for treatment.
- Evacuate dead fish from the tank immediately you discover it is dead.
- Feed your fish with quality food at regular intervals. Quality of food is more important than quantity.
- Keep the water parameters at an optimum level.
- Avoid the occasion of your guppies getting stressed. Increased stress level can expose your fish to the risk of being infected by diseases.
- Carry out routine inspection on the members of your tank to be sure they are healthy.
- Maintain regular water cleaning exercise for your tank.
Fin Rot/ Tail Rot Disease In Guppies; Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
Tail/fin rot in guppies is mostly caused by poor water quality. It can also be caused by bacteria that have infected a fish’s fin and tail. Likewise, this poor water quality can enhance the growth of bacteria.
The dominant symptoms of fin/ tail rot white edges, ragged fin and tail, red streaks, black tail, as well as white-edged holes. Sometimes, the fins and tails might look like they are stuck together.
Treatment of fin/ tail rot is quite easy if swift actions are taken. You can get drug medications specifically for this at your local fish pet store. All you have to do is to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for you to get effective results.
Disease in aquariums is better handled with prevention than cure. You must be observant about the physical activities and body changes in your fish. You can save the sick fish and other members of the tank by recognizing the disease and taking action early.